Saturday 12 February 2011

finger painting on the iPod touch


Primary school infant that I am I've been finger painting this morning so here's something for my mum's fridge :-)

For the longest time I'd hankered after an iPod touch but just couldn't justify the outlay when my old iPod works just like new. Lucky chap that I am a good mate I'd not seen in far too long had just got an iPhone 4 and, sterling chap that he is (you know who your are sir!), gave me his old iPod Touch 3! Now it's never going to be photoshop and a wacom in your pocket but I stumped up the vast sum of 59p for the Sketch Book Mobile App and I have to say I quite impressed with how it works. Photoshop is a truly lovely place to work and you get institutionalized to how Adobe do things so using a different image editing software package is always a bit disconcerting (as I found when I bought Painter a few years back) but that aside I'd recommend sketchbook mobile if you want something for a quick yet creatively fairly flexible doodle when you're out and about. Unfortunately with an iPod Touch screen it's finger painting or a stubby ended stylus so, as you can imagine there's a lot of zooming in and out and changing of brush sizes but the interface doesn't get in the way too much. You can even email yourself the layered document as a psd. OK final output at 300dpi is an RGB file of 86.7mm x 57.7mm (FYI the image post is at max resolution) but if you think of it as a sketch book (what it calls itself after all) it's not at all bad. Tech review over... we now return you to our scheduled blog service (whatever that may be...?)

P.S. while I'm on the theme of Polar Bears the latest animal on "A lIttle Bit Bunny" the group blog I share is...you guessed it...

2 comments:

salli s. swindell said...

you're making me laugh...finger painting! cute bear.

Jon Davis said...

Interesting.
Pressure sensitive variation of line is the thing I've been snootily waiting for on touch screen things, but actually this is a very nice picture. There are some very nice marks on it.
Maybe I need to actually just get my hands on one and give it a go :)